Main Point: (Romans 7) - I must realize that Iâ€™m not God and admit I am powerless to change my sinful nature (my tendency to do the wrong thing), but through the power of Jesus Christ, I can be transformed and overcome!
1. R.ealize Iâ€™m not God and admit Iâ€™m powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing (change my sinful nature).
*I may have a controlling hurt, habit or hang-up â€“ Has my life become unmanageable?
Hurts â€“ Abuse: physical, verbal,emotional,sexual. Pornography.
Loss in Life: health, expectations relationships, divorce, death, adult child of dysfunctional fam. Co-dependency, depression.
Hang-ups â€“ Food, gambling,self injury, anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, finances, debt, lying, gossip, cheating, stealing...
Habits/Addictions â€“ Substance: alcohol, illegal drugs, prescript. Drugs, food, gambling, sex, smoking, relationships, pornography, Video games, shoppingâ€¦
Romans 6:16 â€˜Donâ€™t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey â€“ whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?â€™
2. E.arnestly believe that God exists; that I matter to Him and that He has the power to help me recover/overcome - through Jesus Christ!
3. C.onsciously choose to commit all of my life and will to Christâ€™s care and control.
Last Week (James 5:13-16): I must examine myself, and confess my sins to God, and another trusted person and change if I want healing and recovery.
4. O.penly examine and confess my sins & faults to myself, God, and someone I trust.
Matthew 5:8 Happy are the pure in heartâ€¦
5. V.oluntarily submit to any & all changes God wants to make in my life, and humbly ask Him to remove my character defects.
Matthew 5:7 Happy are the Merciful, for they will be shown mercy!
~Evaluate all my relationships
I Corinthians 15:33-34 â€˜Do not be misled: â€œBad company corrupts good character.â€ Come to your senses and stop sinningâ€¦â€™
~Offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me.